Wednesday 23 March 2016

Birthday Celebration at British Hainan (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED RESTAURANT!!)

When it comes to sourcing for ideal restaurants/cafes for birthday celebrations, I have to admit it isn't an easy task. 

Both Ah Miao and I had something in mind - To surprise our other BFF, Pei Wen, with a self-made video of us writing our own song and singing to her.

Our ideal plan was to have it played on a TV/projector screen in the midst of our dinner in a restaurant so it would take her by surprise.

For weeks, we planned on the song after work and met up for rehearsals .. to eventually recording it. It was our first time doing something like this, so we were keeping our fingers super crossed that everything would turn out smoothly!!


"BUT WHICH RESTAURANT IS WILLING TO HELP US?!" I asked, helpless. 
It was only a 3-person dinner, and we were completely clueless of which restaurant to turn to for such request.
It had been days of online researching and it seemed that there wasn't many positive results.

BUT ONE.

(Picture credit to: http://www.misstamchiak.com/)

I came across photographs of this unique-looking restaurant online and was eventually led to their Facebook page.

They have everything that caught my attention. From the retro theme,style to vintage decorations, it isn't difficult to be attracted. (Since I am such a retro/vintage fan myself!)

In addition, there was quite a number of highly-raved reviews from satisfied customers who posted on their page.

I decided to get in touch with the restaurant owner with my request (Honestly, I did not pin high hopes) , and waited for their reply.

Much to my pleasant surprise, I received a favorable response from the owner the next day - and YES (YES! YES!) he was willing to help us!! I was so excited that I almost cried. (HAHA)

We made arrangements on how I would reach one hour earlier for the preparations, such as burning our video on a disc to be played on their player, etc. (Oh my, it sounds so much like we are planning on a  marriage proposal. HAHA. But hey - It can be a good idea, no?)

When the actual day finally arrived, I prepared the video which I had burned into a CD-ROM
and cabbed down to the restaurant with high anticipation. 
As my cab was approaching the restaurant, I could feel the excitement building up in me.
The restaurant was at Paya Lebar - Being someone who lives in the West part of Singapore, it felt like a mini adventure.

What can I say, the restaurant is such a GEM.
As I did not come with an intention to blog, I did not bring my usual camera with me (I really regretted not doing so!!!) Nonetheless, I made do with my phone camera - so please do pardon the poor quality. At least, I have the courtesy to share with all my readers this rare gem! :)
 If you've never heard about this place, I am sure you will be tempted to visit it after reading my entry.

I was really intrigued by the interior design of the restaurant. It has a retro feel to it , and it was almost like stepping into a time machine!
From what I've heard, there are actually real, vintage collectibles on display. Even if you are not here for the food, I am sure you will be impressed by the ambiance.



The antique on display - I'm completely awed by the wide collection!
Look at those old records!



I met with the restaurant owners and I have to say that they are one of the most friendliest people I've ever came across.
They were hospitable and assisted me with the birthday preparations. (They even gave me a large table for the occasion, which I was really thankful.) 

While waiting for my two dear BFFs to arrive, I was served the menu to look through. OH BOY, did I salivate just by flipping through the pages.

I did a double take when I saw this on their menu:


Braised lamb shank!!!
I have always LOVED, LOVED lamb shanks. And look at how the illustration picture was portrayed!!!

Unfortunately, I did not get to try it on that day as my BFFs were not really hungry (and Ah Miao is a vegetarian) and I was afraid that I would not be able to finish such a large portion myself. (But I will make it a point to come again and try it someday!!!)

We ordered the oven-baked fish instead and I almost fainted when it was served to our table.

Again, I would like to remind you that I have no reason to exaggerate in my entry because I am not paid to advertise for them. It was really so good that I felt it NEEDS to be shared.


The photos simply DO NOT do the food justice. 
*makes it a point to bring my camera along on my next trip*

In case you are wondering, the item wrapped in aluminium foil is actually a potato being cut into 4 slices, and coated with bacon + sauce that will send your taste buds tickling and yearning for more after each bite.
No, I am not exaggerating. It's really THAT good.


I can't even begin to emphasize how well-marinated the fish is. It seemed like the perfect blend of white sauce with the softness of meat. It tasted so good when chewing it, and even better during the after-taste. If I had to rate this, I would give it a 10 out of 10. And mind you - I am someone who is very particular about fish meat.
I KNOW A GOOD FISHY DISH WHEN I EAT ONE. (LOL)


Now, here's another MUST-TRY item:
I've forgotten the exact name of this dish, but I have to say this is one of the best chicken meat I have ever tasted in my entire life. No kidding.
My eyes literally bulged during my first bite.

SO FREAKING TENDER - It's magical.


Let me take a close-up:-


I have no idea how they made it, but the meat was soooo soft that the skin slid off it once I attempted to cut it.
Every bite was tantalizing and I kept exclaiming "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD". HAHAHA.
The meat was very well-marinated and the taste was on-point.
I told my BFFs that the combination of the chicken meat and sauce is like a "perfect match in heaven". LOL. I had no other words to describe it. 
The fries are similar to Mos Burger fries - and I like it that way!

As an appetizer, we ordered this item on the menu as well - 
BACON WITH CHEESE MELT - Combined with Portobello mushroom
(Just the description is enough to make anyone salivate, pls!)
It's quite small in size, and you will feel like it is not enough! 
It's very rich in taste and I actually like it very much despite the fact that I am not a big fan of such mushrooms.

And the owners were so kind to offer everyone a complimentary mango pudding that was so tasty!
Thank you so much!!


In the midst of our meal, the boss reminded me of the birthday video that was supposed to be played. He was so kind to make a special announcement to all the guests who were present and everyone shared our joy in celebrating Pei Wen's birthday!

Our birthday plan was actually a bit screwed up due to the last minute incompatibility issues between the CD-ROM and the restaurant's player, but thank God Ah Miao brought her laptop along - so we ended up playing the video on the  laptop's screen while the boss helped us to project our audio through the speakers.
Our singing voices filled the whole restaurant as Pei Wen was watching the video. Oh man, we were blushing throughout the 4 minutes! Nonetheless, it was a surprise success!!
I wish I could share the video on here, but sorry - it's meant for our dear friend only... HAHAHA.

Here's a screenshot nonetheless: 

We were so glad to see Pei Wen smiling so happily after watching the video :) All our efforts definitely paid off!

And it wouldn't have been possible without the help from the bosses at British Hainan!
If you are reading this, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for everything from the bottom of my heart.
Like what I told my friends, "Even if I live far away, the food alone is worth the trip."
AND I WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK AGAIN.

As below is their address: - (Don't say I never share hor!)
It's really an ideal place to celebrate birthdays or any other special occasions - I highly recommend this place!

Address:
75 Carpmael Rd
75 Carpmael Rd, Singapore 429812

Official Website: www.british-hainan.com

DRIVE: 
Parking available at Haig Road HDB Carpark Block 1 or 2.

or

MRT:
Alight at Paya Lebar Mrt and take a 12-15 minutes walk down towards Blk 1 Haig Road, look out for Carpmael Road which is at the intersection of Crane Road.

or

BUS:
Catch bus 33 which stops at Joo Chiat Road, or bus 16 which stops at Carpmael Road (near Shell Station).






No comments:

Post a Comment