Saturday 13 September 2014

[Event] The Scent Lab by Singapore Polytechnic

This entry is going to be a very interesting one!! 

So I was invited by Singapore Polytechnic to their exclusive Scent Lab workshop; and I was REALLY looking forward to it in excitement.

I have always been fascinated with scents, perfumes, fragrances and stuff like that, so it was somehow a dream come true for me! 

Here's the very first sight that greeted me when I arrived at the place which is located at T11B.
Trust me, I was completely in awe.

It's not difficult to see why, isn't it?


Like seriously?! I couldn't believe my eyes that I was actually standing inside a school.
Everything just looks so darn professional!

Let me give you a virtual tour of the place - I have taken tons of pictures.


I know the main point of this post isn't about its interior design, but I have to say that I really love how the place is designed in such a futuristic manner.


The display of different famous perfume brands - I felt as though I was standing in some high-end retail store that only rich people are allowed. HAHAHA.


Can you recognize some of the bottles? Do you happen to be using any of them?




Aren't perfume bottles beautiful?! I would have been a huge perfume bottle collector if my house is big enough to display them like this! Haha.


I particularly LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this section.
Unfortunately, I did not really have time to explore them individually. 





Some knowledge about Room Scents and Aromatherapy: - I am a fan of Aromatherapy!
It is extremely helpful when it comes to uplifting emotions.


Look at these transparent display cases in the shape of globes! I was really speechless, lah. 
Beautiful is too much of an understatement.


While browsing through the different display sets, I spotted this particular pair of perfume - Romance II! Do you know that they are actually SP's very own creation (and they are retailing in selective stores around Singapore as well - I have seen them!)
 I remembered I was given a set of the Romance II series by SP around two years ago, and I loved it.
In case you are wondering why there are two bottles, its actually a couple  set! Cool, right?! The female version has a floral scent, and the one for men smells, well... ...masculine.


Another close-up shot: - I didn't do any editing to the picture at all and its all taken under raw lighting! 
So romantic-looking. *stares at the picture dreamily*


Wow, I realized I have not even begun to blog about the main highlight of the event and I posted so many photos already!

So here, finally I'm going to start blogging about the workshop!


Here I found myself in the lab where students from Diploma in Perfumery and Cosmetic Science would usually have their practical lessons:
(I really love, love, love the environment here! I would be a happy student if I am one now. Haha)


I took a seat at the front table together with four other participants - and was thrilled to see all the equipment that was neatly lined up on the table in front of us.
YES YES YES, we would soon be able to create our very own perfume and bring it home by the end of the workshop!

*rubs hands in glee*



Here's a bottle of "Splash"- given to me by SP before the start of the workshop. Yes, don't be fooled by its professional-looking packaging. I was told that it isn't for sale and is EXCLUSIVE as part of its 60th Anniversary. (Yes, can you believe that Singapore Polytechnic will be turning 60 soon?!)
I'm so honored to own a bottle of this, not to mention that I LOVE the smell too. 
Thank you, SP!



We were provided lab coats and were told to wear it during the workshop. I feel like a professional perfumer already. *laughs loudly*

Of course, what's a blogger without some selfies?



I am so proud of this logo that is sewn on the lab coat:


And we were advised to wear the provided goggles as well. 


And let the adventure begin!
Here's Ms.Jessie, one of the lecturers, kick-starting the workshop.





Here's Mr Koji Santoku, a former Senior Perfumer from Takasago International (a major international producer of flavors and fragrances headquatered in Japan)! Despite having huge achievements tied to his name, he is really humble. 




Fun, fun, fun! We were given various scented paper strips and had to make a guess what the smell was. We would then label them accordingly.
Well, not all were easy to guess though! I particularly loved the strips that smell like fruits.

(We were taught to bend the scented area upwards so that the smell would not be contaminated)


After a short while, we were taught to smell our own sleeves to "refresh" our noses (it's a really useful tip!!) so there wouldn't be a "jam" in our noses from all the overpowering smell.


The more floral scents provided were rose and jasmine, etc.

After gaining a basic understanding and knowledge of how perfume fragrances work, its now showtime for us - Creating our own perfume!!!!! OMG.

Never in my life would I thought I would have a chance like this; and I have ALWAYS wanted to know how perfume fragrances work.

Do you know that there are 3 different components that make up a perfume fragrance?
They are namely the top notes, middles notes and base notes.

The first sniff that you thought is a scent you like? That is probably the top note, which will wear off after a short while. You may or may not like the middle and base notes thereafter.

I would say that perfume fragrances are very subjective.
It actually takes time before you can decide if the smell is something of your favor.

We were provided different "ingredients" to mix and play around with using small sample bottles. 



After sniffing them individually and having a rough idea what kind of scent direction I was going for, I got down to work.

Urgh, how I wish my readers can smell them too just by reading this entry. LOL.

With a fruit-floral scent idea in mind, I attempted to create it.

I started off with the Apple (it smells 100% like FRESH apples) as my base note an
d slowly added in other "ingredients". I was actually quite afraid of making a wrong move that would result in a foul smell. LOL.

As CK One has a sweet smell, I decided to mix it with my Apple base so that the Apple can smell "sweeter". I added approximately 2 drops of jasmine (just to create a tinge of floral scent), 3 drops of Lilial to "neutralise" the smell and Bergamot to create that tiny "uplifting" fragrance.
#tryingtoactlikeaprofessional


It took me 3 sample bottles to get to the final smell I wanted.
It certainly wasn't an easy task creating a satisfying perfume fragrance!

And here - The final product is born! 
Here's the SGCOMPLAINQUEEN's very own fragrance.
It has a strong tinge of fresh apple scent!


The empty bottles that were used to hold our own created perfume - I love how the words "Singapore Polytechnic" are printed on them! #loyalSPfan



A random photo of yours truly while in the midst of working on my perfume:



And here's me proudly holding my masterpiece:


I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Singapore Polytechnic for the 
invitation to this workshop that has proven to be a real eye-opener! 
The new knowledge gained after the workshop was priceless - and it sure was an unforgettable experience for me.
Not to mention I had a ball of fun experimenting with the different fragrances as well, enabling me to understand better how perfume actually work.

I feel that the courses that Singapore Polytechnic offers are getting more and more exciting!
If you are one who has great interest in this area, you will be glad to know that SP actually has the course "Diploma in Perfumery & Cosmetic Science (DPCS)" that specializes in it!
Seriously, I would have given it a consideration if I were given the chance to choose my courses again.






If you are interested to find out more, do check out this link:


2 comments:

  1. That is true that no one can plan an event without help of someone. So, I also hire event planners whenever I plan for any NY events. The best part is that an event planner help us in finding and selecting best venues according to the events and as per our fixed budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non-human mammalian pheromones are commonly used as perfumery ingredients. nuttyscents.com

    ReplyDelete